Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Limitations and realistic expectations

Today I'm talking about physical limitations and realistic expectations.  I'll turn 57 years young in September.  I have met men and women 10 -15 years younger than myself, that complain about life as if life ends at age 40.  I sometimes just want to shake them and tell them they have no idea how young they are! 

So what are my limitations today?  Well, no matter how hard I train, I'm never going to run a 4 minute mile, play pro sports or be on American Idol.  It's not gonna happen.  We have to be realistic. Wow!  At my age the list of "never going to" this or that could be a long one.

So instead I will list some physical activities I plan to accomplish within the next 12 months.  I believe in writing down goals and keeping them where we can review them.  After I list the goals I will save it to my favorites list, so I can click back on it periodically and see if my goals have changed, if I have accomplished them, or if I need to acknowledge that they are beyond my abilities.  After all...a man's got to know his limitations.  Here we go:

FIVE GOALS - can they be real expectations?                                                             
~to be able to do the splits by this time next year if not much sooner.  Marion gave me the idea;)
~to be able to do 100 consecutive push ups.  I made this a goal in 2012 but got side lined, especially by my hernia.  I did get up to 34, but wasn't training properly.  Once that (hernia) is fixed, the excuses are out the window.  After the doctor's medically clear me for strenuous exercise after surgery, I'm going to pursue this one again. 
~to get my body fat percentage down to 12 percent.  This will not be easy either.  I will explain the reasons for this goal in my next post.  I will set a one year timeline for this.
~to shoot 8 out of 10 consecutive foul shots through the hoop.  Believe or not, I did it before, I can do it again.
~to develop six pack abs.  They will reveal themselves when I get the body fat percentage down around 12 percent.  Why is this important to this old man?  To prove to my wife that it can be done!   She's never seen them on grown men except on her soaps.  I'd be the first of three husbands to develop soap status abs.  There has to be a bonus in there somewhere;)

That's all.  I need you to hold me accountable.  I don't need cheerleaders, as much as I need you to believe that if I can really do this, (and I believe I truly can) then imagine what you are capable of !?!  Because the biggest obstacle to accomplishing so much in our life are the little voices in our head that tells us no.  Not the psychotic voices that tell you to harm others.  The self defeating little voices that prevent us from reaching our potential at anything we try to do.

NO (maybe it speaks louder) YOU CAN'T  DO IT!  You are too old!  You are not athletic.  You are too fat, too tall, too short, too whatever! 

When I first discovered Blogging and thought I might start a blog, the voice in my head said...yeah...good luck with that one (with a big ole smile).  Meaning...you will fail.  I was already closing in on 300 pounds and unhealthy.  What did I have to lose except the pounds?  Self pride?  I had already lost the ability to look straight down and see my feet.  I lost my self pride every time I ate a six pack box of hostess old fashioned buttermilk donuts.  Mmmn...donuts.  I also said mmmn to one pound packages of bacon, and entire jars of peanut butter.  The Mmmn factor seemed to be controlling me, instead of ME controlling the Mmmn in my life.  My eating pattern lacked structure and discipline.

I seem to be in control of what I put between my lips to chew on now.  So I have the five goals listed above, as motivation to continue on with this journey from fat to fit, changing the status quo.  Can the ole man do it?  Or am I just the Montana version of Don Quixote, dreaming the impossible dream trying to recapture his youth?  If Dr. Jeffry Life can change the path/direction of his life, turn it (life) around and look photo shopped at age 74, then I can change the direction and path of mine.  I'm a firm believer in...what one man can do, another can do.  Here's to doing - cheers!
Click photo to enlarge.  Life is about YOUR path.  Don't be afraid to change directions.

26 comments:

  1. LOL'ing about giving your wife her first husband in 3 with soap op abs. LOL LOL

    Of course you can achieve all of this! I'll be right here, celebrating them with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen - If there is such a thing as muscle memory, my ab muscles are going to have to remember back to their 18 - 20 year old time frame, and bring it forward. I believe I can achieve it. So the mantra will be...believe it - achieve it! Thanks for your comments:)

      Delete
  2. Great list of goals, you know can buy a can of spray paint and have those abs by tomorrow. I suppose that would be cheating. It's going to be neat watching how you tear it up though, you are a man on a mission so this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josh, there are also t-shirts you can buy that come with abs on the front. I'm going to get there through a combination of clean eating, aerobic and anaerobic exercise. Thanks for your comments:)

      Delete
  3. Hi Marc! Love it!!! The hoops sounds like a lot of fun practicing. No matter what--that's a good time getting there. (I have a good time with all of my fitness projects.) If you could do it before, it's in you.

    After the hernia surgery, your pushups can happen. Definitely. You do staggered sets of pushups all day long, every other day until you build up to it.

    For splits, are you naturally flexible and could you do splits when you were younger? That's going to be a factor for how fast you can achieve them. The reason why it took me over two years is because I never could do splits as a child. But people can gain flexibility for splits. Yes, that is possible for you, but I don't know how fast.

    I have no idea how hard it is to get to 12 percent body fat. No idea at all. I'm working relentlessly on my weight right now, and it's still coming off. So obviously, I can still get lower without much trial and tribulation. I do think it's a matter of really wanting it--and some brutal consistency. But it definitely is possible.

    I do have gym buddies your age who are super buff. Really rock hard, muscle-wise. Even much older than you.

    I too get sick of the excuses and rationales. It is so much more fun and inspiring to ignore the excuses and just do the stuff you want to do. I really love being awesome in fitness. Every. Single. Day. People always assume I'm a trainer, just because I'm great at exercise. And that NEVER gets old. You'll enjoy that a LOT.

    Glad that you are not desperate for cheerleaders, because most of the time, when you're doing goals, such as these, the only person around--when it counts--is you. You have to be self-motivated for all of these goals. And you are. So you're set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marion - The hoops will be fun, except for the part where I completely miss the backboard and have to go chasing after the ball. But then I'll be burning more calories, so it's all good.
      The splits will be very challenging for me. I fell from a 3 story building when I was 3 years old and lived to tell about. I broke my hip bone and my left leg. As a small boy in the 1st grade I had pain and discomfort trying to sit cross legged like the other kids on the class room rug during reading time. So...I've never been limber. I will need lots and lots of stretching to accomplish this.
      Low carb eating will help me get the body fat % down.
      There are men in my age group that are lean and muscular at my gym as well.
      Thanks for all your comments:)

      Delete
  4. Isn't that Jeffry Life amazing?? you can do it if you put your mind to it but I'm guessing it's not all that important to get that ripped. Life is all about your attitude and you have certainly got the right one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda - He (Life) is amazing! It's important to me at this time in my life. Thanks for your comments:)

      Delete
    2. Ok... I look forward to those before and after pics then!!

      Delete
    3. Okay...just please!!!...don't hold your breath...because it might take a while. But this much I know...when I build them, they will be posted:)
      After I'm medically clear post surgery:)

      Delete
  5. I love how you say that some people complain when they hit 40. Do you know that I get people who complain about things when they hit 30? I am turning 30 on Saturday and people tend to tell me that things are going to spiral downhill from there on. I don't want believe that. 30 is still so young.
    I love that you are writing down your goals, I strongly believe in that too. It makes one accountable.
    I too heard that getting down the body fat to that percentage is hard, I mean it's hard to get it down from 28 - 22 percent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marleen, first off I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday for August 3rd. Celebrate your BIG 3 0 !! Thirty is very young! You are very young. You will have an amazing decade ahead of you to enjoy the youthfulness of your thirties. Have fun celebrating your birthday! Thanks for your comments:)

      Delete
  6. I am nearing 60 and I feel good. It sounds old, I will be a little over a year. I don't feel old. I think so much is attitude. When you sit goals, instead of giving up, it keeps you young. Good luck in reaching your goals. I'm sure you will be posting pictures of those six pack abs. I would!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, you are one of the young ones:) I've observed many people that remain physically active. In these folks chronological age and biological age are not the same. These people have turned back the clock. They feel and act younger than peers their age. The reverse is also true. There are younger people who behave as though they need put in the home for old folks this afternoon if not sooner. I believe that someone who has been sedentary for years (myself for example) can often change the path/direction of their life and join the active crowd. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen. And yes...I will definitely be posting those six pack abs when they happen. Thanks for your comments:)

      Delete
  7. We limit ourselves through preconceived notions about what someone of a certain age can or cannot do. We absolutely have to be realistic but I think we often sell ourselves short. Positive mental attitude will get you to the goals you have set for yourself. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myra - you are exactly right! I believe too often our pessimistic attitudes define our realities, and end up holding us back from achieving what we truly are capable of. We do sell ourselves short. So yes, positive mental attitude will get us there. Along with sweat, lots of sweat. Thanks for your comments:)

      Delete
  8. You can totally do it! If you're willing to work hard and suffer some! :-)

    Age slows us down and makes some goals unrealistic (even I am too old for the Olympics at this point - except maybe horseback riding but I'm kind of lagging behind in terms of experience, I have enough fingers to count the times I've been on a horse).

    BUT I've heard way too many people use age as an excuse, while other, older people are still living the life with enthusiasm and energy! My 94-year old grandmother, for example, volunteers for other elderly people who need help. She calls them her elders even if they are oftentimes much younger than her! A couple years ago, by contrast, I worked for a 55-year old who kept complaining she was so old and decrepit. Seriously?

    As for me I was traumatized when I turned 30, but I'm planning a huge party for when I turn 40. It will be an excuse to celebrate, not commiserate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie - I am ready to work hard and suffer (does that sound like a good time?) Your grandmother is truly a gem! While my mother-in-law was in the Rest Home...I met a 92 year old man in the Rest Home that had been there two years. He was physically fit and sound of mind. He was a retired bakery chef and each week would bake pies for the other home residents. He was so full of energy that he would dance sometimes in the cafeteria to the music coming from the loud speakers. He would visit the other residents sitting at different tables and ask about their day. The rest home director made the decision to have the 92 year old leave because he was too fit to stay, and they needed his room for sickly recuperating old folks. It made him very sad to leave as he enjoyed the companionship of the group setting. He is 93 years old now and lives in an apartment.

      Lastly, OMG you are a spring chicken! Enjoy your huge party for being 40 years young and celebrate your life with many years to come:) Thanks for your comments:)

      Delete
  9. You can and you will. I can't wait to see your wifes eyes when you have those abs. You really are an inspiration and soon I'll be looking for you to reinspire me to get back on track. Right now there are other things more important and even though that sounds like an excuse, this time it's not. It's what life is right now.
    You take care, keep up what you're doing, get that belly fixed and keep getting stronger and stronger.
    Take care Marc, blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, thank you for taking the time to stop by my blog with your encouraging words and especially your blessings. You have a great deal of stress happening in your life right now, and honestly...the weight of the responsibility must be staggering at times. Your sister obviously loves you very much and respects your decision making process. You are very strong and will get through this. I just know that many are praying for you as well as your family. ((hugs))

      Delete
  10. What an uplifting and motivational post! I believe you can do it ad I look forward to the day that you post a picture of your six-pack abs. Thanks for the motivation - I've been feeling lazy lately ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sunny D:) Feeling lazy??? Could be dehydration:/ Well, now I have to seriously make those six pack abs happen! Too many people have read this post. I meant to publish this April 1st! (Just kidding) If man is truly a piece of clay, then I can mold myself into the shape I desire to see. I just have to eliminate the dough belly. Thanks for your comments:)

      Delete
  11. I think it's a good idea to have goals, and yes, keep them realistic. If they are way way too high and you do not achieve then the let down does not do you any good. It's the balance that is important. Hey and didn't you know that 60 (or almost) is the new 40 LOL. Does age matter? I think good health is more important.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, I thought setting these goals would be more challenging than growing my beard back;) And yes...good health is more important:)

      Delete
  12. I think your list of 5 goals is terrific. Have you come up with a strategy as to how you want to accomplish each one (e.g. how many times a week you want to practice etc.)? I think having a plan will help! You've made amazing progress so far. I can't wait to see how this next year turns out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayesha - Yes I have a plan. I have a nutritional plan as well as a training plan. At this point, it all hinges on how quickly I can heal from the surgery and be medically cleared to begin training. I even will have a strength coach/physical trainer. I have all the tools, I just need to implement them. Thanks for your personal advice and comments:)

      Delete